Wei Dong is Research Advisor in the Canadian Economic Analysis Department at the Bank of Canada. Her research interests are open economy macroeconomics and international finance. Wei received her PhD in economics from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Staff Analytical Notes
Digital Transformation in the Service Sector: Insights from Consultations with Firms in Wholesale, Retail and LogisticsFirms increasingly rely on digital technologies such as e-commerce, cloud computing, big data, digital tracking and digital platforms that are reshaping business operations, business models and market structures. In this context, the Bank of Canada consulted with firms in wholesale, retail and logistics, as well as with related industry associations to yield insights on the adoption of digital technologies.
Staff Discussion Papers
Exchange Rates and Individual Good’s Price Misalignment: Some Preliminary Evidence of Long-Horizon PredictabilityWhen prices are sticky, movements in the nominal exchange rate have a direct impact on international relative prices. A relative price misalignment would trigger an adjustment in consumption and employment, and may help to predict future movements in the exchange rate.
Staff Working Papers
- “Importers and Exporters in Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Currency Invoicing”
(with Michael Devereux and Ben Tomlin), Journal of International Economics, March 2017, Volume 105, Pages 187-204.
- “Pricing-to-Market, Currency Invoicing and Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Producer Prices”
(with Shutao Cao and Ben Tomlin), Journal of International Money and Finance, 58, November 2015: 128-149.
- “Do Central Banks Respond to Exchange Rate Movements? Some New Evidence from Structural Estimation”
Canadian Journal of Economics, 46(2), May 2013: 555-586.
- “The Quantitative Importance of the Expenditure-Switching Effect”
Open Economies Review, 24(2), 2013: 311-338.
- “Exchange Rates and Individual Good's Price Misalignment: Evidence of Long-horizon Predictability”
(with Deokwoo Nam), Journal of International Money and Finance, 32, February 2013: 611-636.
- “The Role of Expenditure Switching in the Global Imbalance Adjustment”
Journal of International Economics, 86(2), March 2012: 237-251.