Jeannine Bailliu is a Senior Policy Advisor in the International Economic Analysis Department. Her primary research interests are international finance, international economics, and applied econometrics. She has conducted research on the Chinese economy, exchange rate and monetary policy regimes, exchange rate pass-through, exchange rate determination and macroeconomic modelling. Prior to joining the Bank of Canada, she obtained a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of California in Santa Cruz; she also worked for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in Paris.
Staff Discussion Papers
Staff Working Papers
Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical InvestigationThis paper investigates the question of whether a transition to a low-inflation environment, induced by a shift in monetary policy, results in a decline in the degree of pass-through of exchange rate movements to consumer prices.
- “Can Media and Text Analytics Provide Insights into Labour Market Conditions in China?” (with Xinfen Han, Mark Kruger, Yu-Hsien Liu, and Sri Thanabalasingam), International Journal of Forecasting, July-September 2019, Vol. 35, pp. 1118-1130.
- “How fast can China grow? The Middle Kingdom’s prospects to 2030” (with Mark Kruger, Argyn Toktamyssov and Wheaton Welbourn), Pacific Economic Review, May 2019, Vol. 24, pp. 373-399. (First published in September 2017)
- "Macroprudential Rules and Monetary Policy when Financial Frictions Matter"
(with Cesaire Meh and Yahong Zhang), Economic Modelling, November 2015, Vol. 50, p. 148-161.
- “Multilateral adjustment, regime switching and real exchange rate dynamics”
(with Ali Dib, T. Kano and L. Schembri) North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 27, January 2014, pages 68-87.
- "Does Exchange Rate Policy Matter for Growth?"
(with Robert Lafrance and Jean-Francois Perrault), International Finance, Winter 2003, 6 (3), p. 381-414.
- "Do Funded Pensions Contribute to Higher Aggregate Savings? A Cross–Country Analysis"
(with Helmut Reisen), Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), 1998, 134 (4), p. 692-711.
Conference, seminars and workshops
- "Multilateral Adjustment and the Canadian Dollar"
Proceedings of a conference held by the Bank of Canada, Canada in the Global Economy, November 2004.
- "Exchange Rate Regimes and Economic Growth in Emerging Markets"
Proceedings of a conference held by the Bank of Canada, Revisiting the Case for Flexible Exchange Rates, November 2000.