Carolyn A. Wilkins was appointed Senior Deputy Governor for a term of seven years beginning May 2, 2014. In this capacity, she oversees the Bank’s strategic planning and economic and financial research. As a member of the Bank’s Governing Council, she shares responsibility for decisions with respect to monetary policy and financial system stability. Ms. Wilkins also oversees the Bank’s analysis of international economic developments in support of monetary policy decisions. She is a member of the Bank’s Board of Directors.
Ms. Wilkins is the Bank of Canada’s G20 and G7 Deputy. She represents the Bank on the Financial Stability Board (FSB) Plenary and is a member of the FSB’s Standing Committee on Assessment of Vulnerabilities. She is also a member of the International Monetary Fund’s High-Level Advisory Group on Finance and Technology and the Group of Trustees of the Principles for Stable Capital Flows and Fair Debt Restructuring at the Institute of International Finance. She previously represented Canada on the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) and co-chaired the BCBS Working Group on Liquidity.
Before her appointment as Senior Deputy Governor, Ms. Wilkins was Advisor to the Governor, with a focus on the Canadian economy, its interaction with the financial system, and monetary policy. As Managing Director of the Bank’s Financial Stability Department from 2011 to 2013, Ms. Wilkins led the Bank’s research and analysis of financial system issues in Canada and abroad. As Deputy Managing Director of the Financial Markets Department, she led the development and implementation of extraordinary liquidity tools and collateral policy deployed during the financial crisis.
Before joining the Bank in 2001, Ms. Wilkins held senior analytical roles related to economic forecasting and fiscal policy development, at both the Department of Finance Canada and the Privy Council Office.
Ms. Wilkins was born in Peterborough, Ontario. She holds an Honours BA in Economics from Wilfrid Laurier University and an MA in Economics from the University of Western Ontario. She was named as a winner of Canada’s Most Powerful Women: Top 100 Award by the Women’s Executive Network in 2016 and 2018.
Staff Discussion Papers
Staff Working Papers
Bank of Canada Review Article
Financial System Hub
Financial System Review Article
- Wilkins, C. (with T. Ahnert and J. Chapman). 2020. “Should Bank Capital Regulation Be Risk Sensitive?” Journal of Financial Intermediation, May 2020.
- Wilkins, C. (with G. Tkacz). 2008. “Linear and Threshold Forecasts of Output and Inflation with Stock and Housing Prices,” Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 27, Issue 2, pp. 131-151.
Publications from working groups
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Basel III: the Net Stable Funding Ratio - consultative document.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Guidance for Supervisors on Market-Based Indicators of Liquidity.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Liquidity coverage ratio disclosure standards.”
- Canadian Over-the-Counter Derivatives Working Group (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “Reform of Over-the-Counter (OTC ) Derivatives Markets in Canada: Discussion Paper from the Canadian OTC Derivatives Working Group.”
- Canadian Foreign Exchange Committee Working Group on the Performance of FX Markets over the Crisis (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “The Canadian Foreign Exchange Market: Developments and Opportunities.”
- Committee on the Global Financial System Study Group on Cross Border Funding (C. Wilkins member of Study Group.) 2010. “The functioning and resilience of cross-border funding markets”. CGFS Paper No. 37.
- Wilkins, C. 1998. “Youth and the 1990s Labour Market,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 98-08.
- Wilkins, C. (with F. Lee and S. James). 1992. “Estimating Trend Total Factor Productivity Growth in Canada,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 92-03.
- Wilkins, C. (with M. Albert). 1989. “Closed Economy Analysis of the Dynamics of Deficits and Debt in a Unitary and Federal State,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 89-01.