January 5, 2020 Archived panel discussion hosted by the Bank for International Settlements at the American Economic Association’s 2020 Annual Meeting of Allied Social Science Associations.
November 19, 2019 Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins provides an update on the Canadian financial system and discusses measures in place that increase its resilience in a challenging global environment.
November 19, 2019 Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins talks about the recent strengthening of Canada’s financial system.
May 16, 2019 In our Financial System Review, we identify the main vulnerabilities and risks to financial stability in Canada and explain how they have evolved over the past year. This issue reflects the Bank’s judgment that the vulnerabilities associated with high household debt and imbalances in the housing market have declined modestly but remain significant. The Financial System Review is a product of the Governing Council of the Bank of Canada: Stephen S. Poloz, Carolyn A. Wilkins, Timothy Lane, Lawrence Schembri, Lynn Patterson and Paul Beaudry.
February 8, 2019 From a central banking perspective, the monetary landscape 10 to 15 years from now could look radically different than it does today. This paper explores some important research and policy questions for a central bank regarding cryptoassets.
The market for cryptoassets has exploded in size in the 10 years since bitcoin was launched. The technology underlying cryptoassets, blockchain, has also been held up as a technology that promises to transform entire industries.
- Wilkins, C. (with G. Tkacz). 2008. “Linear and Threshold Forecasts of Output and Inflation with Stock and Housing Prices,” Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 27, Issue 2, pp. 131-151.
Publications from Working Groups
- FSB Report to the G20 (C. A. Wilkins Chair of Fintech issues Group) 2017. “Financial Stability Implications from FinTech”
- FSB Peer Review Report (C. A. Wilkins Co-chair of Standing Committee on Standards Implementation) 2016. “Thematic Review on the Implementation of the FSB Policy Framework for Shadow Banking Entities”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Basel III: the Net Stable Funding Ratio - consultative document.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Guidance for Supervisors on Market-Based Indicators of Liquidity.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Liquidity coverage ratio disclosure standards.”
- Canadian Over-the-Counter Derivatives Working Group (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “Reform of Over-the-Counter (OTC ) Derivatives Markets in Canada: Discussion Paper from the Canadian OTC Derivatives Working Group.”
- Canadian Foreign Exchange Committee Working Group on the Performance of FX Markets over the Crisis (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “The Canadian Foreign Exchange Market: Developments and Opportunities.”
- Committee on the Global Financial System Study Group on Cross Border Funding (C. Wilkins member of Study Group.) 2010. “The functioning and resilience of cross-border funding markets”. CGFS Paper No. 37.
- Wilkins, C. 1998. “Youth and the 1990s Labour Market,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 98-08.
- Wilkins, C. (with F. Lee and S. James). 1992. “Estimating Trend Total Factor Productivity Growth in Canada,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 92-03.
- Wilkins, C. (with M. Albert). 1989. “Closed Economy Analysis of the Dynamics of Deficits and Debt in a Unitary and Federal State,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 89-01.