Carolyn A. Wilkins
Senior Deputy GovernorExecutive
Bank of Canada
234 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON, K1A 0G9
November 29, 2018 Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins delivers remarks at the launch of the new Bank of Canada Museum exhibition A Noteworthy Woman, which depicts the life of Viola Desmond, the first Canadian woman to appear on a regular bank note.
November 22, 2018 Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins discusses how monetary and macroprudential policies interact with each other and how they affect financial stability.
November 20, 2018 Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins discusses public policy issues around monetary policy frameworks and how those issues have become more complex in the post-global financial crisis world.
We present a simple model to study the risk sensitivity of capital regulation. A banker funds investment with uninsured deposits and costly capital, where capital resolves a moral hazard problem in the banker’s choice of risk.
For central banks, conducting policy in an environment of uncertainty is a daily fact of life. This uncertainty can take many forms, ranging from incomplete knowledge of the correct economic model and data to future economic and geopolitical events whose precise magnitudes and effects cannot be known with certainty.
- Wilkins, C. (with G. Tkacz). 2008. “Linear and Threshold Forecasts of Output and Inflation with Stock and Housing Prices,” Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 27, Issue 2, pp. 131-151.
Publications from Working Groups
- FSB Report to the G20 (C. A. Wilkins Chair of Fintech issues Group) 2017. “Financial Stability Implications from FinTech”
- FSB Peer Review Report (C. A. Wilkins Co-chair of Standing Committee on Standards Implementation) 2016. “Thematic Review on the Implementation of the FSB Policy Framework for Shadow Banking Entities”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Basel III: the Net Stable Funding Ratio - consultative document.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Guidance for Supervisors on Market-Based Indicators of Liquidity.”
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (C. Wilkins co-chair of Working Group on Liquidity). 2014. “Liquidity coverage ratio disclosure standards.”
- Canadian Over-the-Counter Derivatives Working Group (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “Reform of Over-the-Counter (OTC ) Derivatives Markets in Canada: Discussion Paper from the Canadian OTC Derivatives Working Group.”
- Canadian Foreign Exchange Committee Working Group on the Performance of FX Markets over the Crisis (C. Wilkins Chair of Working Group). 2010. “The Canadian Foreign Exchange Market: Developments and Opportunities.”
- Committee on the Global Financial System Study Group on Cross Border Funding (C. Wilkins member of Study Group.) 2010. “The functioning and resilience of cross-border funding markets”. CGFS Paper No. 37.
- Wilkins, C. 1998. “Youth and the 1990s Labour Market,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 98-08.
- Wilkins, C. (with F. Lee and S. James). 1992. “Estimating Trend Total Factor Productivity Growth in Canada,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 92-03.
- Wilkins, C. (with M. Albert). 1989. “Closed Economy Analysis of the Dynamics of Deficits and Debt in a Unitary and Federal State,” Department of Finance Working Paper No. 89-01.