Heng Chen is a Research Advisor in the Currency Department at the Bank of Canada. His primary research interests center on understanding cash demand and usage through surveys and casual inference. Heng Chen received his PhD in economics from Vanderbilt University.
Staff discussion papers
Staff working papers
The Bank of Canada 2015 Retailer Survey on the Cost of Payment Methods: Calibration for Single-Location RetailersCalibrated weights are created to (a) reduce the nonresponse bias; (b) reduce the coverage error; and (c) make the weighted estimates from the sample consistent with the target population in terms of certain key variables.
Variance Estimation for Survey-Weighted Data Using Bootstrap Resampling Methods: 2013 Methods-of-Payment Survey QuestionnaireSampling units for the 2013 Methods-of-Payment Survey were selected through an approximate stratified random sampling design. To compensate for non-response and non-coverage, the observations are weighted through a raking procedure.
- Multi-dimensional Latent Group Structure with Heterogeneous Distributions (with Wendun Wang and Xuan Leng), Accepted, Journal of Econometrics.
- Quantile Treatment Effects in the Regression Kink Design (with Harold D. Chiang and Yuya Sasaki), Econometric Theory, 2020.
- A Spatial Panel Model of Bank Branches in Canada (with Matthew Strathearn), Advances in Econometrics (Volume 42): The Econometrics of Networks. Editors: Áureo De Paula (UCL), Elie Tamer (Harvard), and Marcel Voia (Carleton), 2019.
- Identification and Wavelet Estimation of Weighted ATE in a Class of Switching Regime Models (with Yanqin Fan), Journal of Econometrics, 2019.
- The Mode is the Message: Using Paradata to Identify Survey Design Effects (with Geoff Dunbar and Rallye Shen), Advances in Econometrics (Volume 41): Essays in Honor of Cheng Hsiao. Editors: M. Hashem Pesaran (USC), Tong Li (Vanderbilt), and Dek Terrell (LSU), 2019.
- Cash versus Card: Payment Discontinuities and the Burden of Holding Coins (with Kim Huynh and Oz Shy), Journal of Banking and Finance, 2019.
- Variance Estimation for Survey-Weighted Data Using Bootstrap Resampling Methods: 2013 Methods-of-Payment Survey Questionnaire (with Rallye Shen), Advances in Econometrics (Volume 39): The Econometrics of Complex Survey Data: Theory and Applications. Editors: Gautam Tripathi (U Luxembourg), David Jacho-Chavez (Emory U), Kim P. Huynh (Bank of Canada), 2018.
- Measuring Consumer Cash Holdings: Lessons from the 2013 Bank of Canada Methods-of-Payment Survey (with Chris Henry, Kim Huynh, Rallye Shen, Kyle Vincent), Survey Practice, 2016.
- Retail Payment Innovations and Cash Usage: Accounting for Attrition Using Refreshment Samples (with Marie-Helene Felt and Kim Huynh), Journal of Royal Statistical Society: Series A, 2016.
- Inference for the Correlation Coefficient between Potential Outcomes in the Gaussian Switching Regime Model (with Yanqin Fan and Ruixuan Liu), Journal of Econometrics, 2016.
- Sheep in Wolf's Clothing: Using the Least Squares Criterion for Quantile Regression, Economics Letters, 2015.
- A Flexible Parametric Approach for Estimating Switching Regime Models and Treatment Effect Parameters (with Yanqin Fan and Jisong Wu), Journal of Econometrics, 2014.