The Bank of Canada and the Global Migration Center at the University of California Davis are jointly organizing a workshop on the Macroeconomic Implications of Migration. The workshop takes place at the Bank of Canada’s Head Office in Ottawa on August 29-30, 2022 and features two keynote lectures by Ethan Lewis (Dartmouth College) and Giovanni Peri (University of California, Davis). In addition, the workshop consists of four sessions with contributions from invited researchers and designated discussants. The broad subjects discussed in the workshop are:
- The labor market impacts of immigration, their effects on firms, productivity, innovation, and the economy as a whole.
- The response of immigration to migration policies and occupation barriers, as well as the consequences of these policies on the labour market and firm competitiveness.
- The business-cycle behaviour of migration and its implication on the labour market, the skill-premium and income inequality.
- The effect of migration on public finances.
See the detailed agenda.
Monday, August 29, 2022 (Day 1)
Sharon Kozicki (Bank of Canada, Deputy Governor)
Session 1: Skilled Migration, H1B Visas, Offshoring
Chair: Nuno Paixao (Bank of Canada, FSD)
- Britta Glennon (The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania)
- Discussant: Marlon Seror (Université du Québec à Montréal)
Immigrants, Firms, and Workers: Insights from the H-1B Lottery and US Employer-Employee Matched Data
Keynote 1: The Effect of Low-Skill Immigration Restrictions on Firms and Workers: Evidence from a Randomized Lottery
Ethan Lewis (Dartmouth College)
Session 2: Migration, Labor Markets, and Inequality
Chair: Laure Simon (Bank of Canada, CEA)
Floating Population: Consumption and Location Choices of Rural Migrants in China
Internal Migration and Labor Market Dynamism
Immigration and Inequality: New Macroeconomic Evidence
- Francesco Furlanetto (Norges Bank)
- Discussant: Alberto Rivera-Padilla (California State University, Fullerton)
Keynote 2: Skilled Immigrants, Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Productivity of Firms
Giovanni Peri (University of California, Davis)
Tuesday, August 30, 2022 (Day 2)
Session 3: Migration and Productivity
Chair: Youngmin Park (Bank of Canada, CEA)
Occupational Barriers and the Productivity Penalty from Lack of Legal Status
- Francesc Ortega (The City University of New York, Queens College)
- Discussant: Rebecca Lessem (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Sara Signorelli (University of Amsterdam)
- Discussant: Giuseppe Ippedico (University of California, Davis)
Session 4: Migration, the Business Cycle, Monetary and Fiscal Policies
Chair: Lin Shao (Bank of Canada, INT)
Slowdown in Immigration, Labor Market Shortages, and the Decline in the Skill-Premium
- Federico Mandelman (Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta)
- Discussant: Henry Siu (University of British Columbia)