We are Canada's central bank. We work to preserve the value of money by keeping inflation low and stable.
September 17, 2020 The Board of Directors of the Bank of Canada announced today that Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins informed them that she will not seek a second term.
September 10, 2020 Governor Tiff Macklem outlines how the COVID-19 recession has had an uneven impact on Canadians and discusses the Bank’s decision yesterday to leave the policy rate unchanged.
September 9, 2020
Bank of Canada maintains commitment to current level of policy rate, continues program of quantitative easingThe Bank of Canada today maintained its target for the overnight rate at the effective lower bound of ¼ percent. The Bank Rate is correspondingly ½ percent and the deposit rate is ¼ percent. The Bank is also continuing its quantitative easing (QE) program, with large-scale asset purchases of at least $5 billion per week of Government of Canada bonds.
September 8, 2020 The Bank of Canada is inviting Canadian universities to nominate exceptional academics for its 2021 Fellowship and Governor’s awards.
August 27, 2020 Governor Tiff Macklem talks about the need for the Bank to be clear, relatable and understandable when it communicates with the public.
- September 21, 2020 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (September 28-October 9)
- September 15, 2020 Bank of Canada announces changes to the amount of Government of Canada Treasury Bills acquired at auction
- September 15, 2020 Bank of Canada announces changes to the Provincial Money Market Purchase (PMMP) program
- September 14, 2020 Debt Management Strategy Consultations – 2021-22
- September 8, 2020 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (September 14-25)
- October 8, 2020 Speech: Tiff Macklem, Governor
- October 12, 2020 Thanksgiving Day
- October 15, 2020 Panel: Timothy Lane, Deputy Governor
- October 19, 2020 Release: Business Outlook Survey & Canadian Survey of Consumer Expectations
- October 28, 2020 Interest Rate Announcement & Monetary Policy Report