We are Canada's central bank. We work to preserve the value of money by keeping inflation low and stable.
January 20, 2021 Governor Tiff Macklem discusses key issues involved in the Governing Council’s deliberations about the policy rate decision and the MPR.
January 20, 2021
Bank of Canada will hold current level of policy rate until inflation objective is achieved, continues quantitative easingThe Bank of Canada today held its target for the overnight rate at the effective lower bound of ¼ percent, with the Bank Rate at ½ percent and the deposit rate at ¼ percent.
January 20, 2021 While a second wave of COVID-19 is hurting Canadians now, the economy should rebound strongly later in the year. The Bank is forecasting growth of around 4 percent this year and close to 5 percent in 2022.
January 11, 2021 In the winter Business Outlook Survey, firms pointed to a continued recovery supported by strengthening domestic and foreign demand, particularly in goods-producing sectors. Still, firms expect the recovery to be uneven; in particular, businesses that have been hit hard by the pandemic anticipate challenging times ahead.
January 11, 2021 The Canadian Survey of Consumer Expectations (CSCE) collects respondents’ views on inflation, the labour market and household finances. The survey for the fourth quarter of 2020 was conducted from November 10 to December 1, 2020. This period coincides with a sharp increase in COVID‑19 cases across Canada and follows announcements about the development of effective vaccines. Since the survey was conducted, some provinces have imposed additional measures to contain the spread of the virus. In addition, the first vaccines have begun to be administered. Like the previous two surveys, the fourth-quarter survey included questions on the impacts of COVID‑19 and the measures to contain its spread. This survey also asked respondents how they used any benefits they received from income-support programs that governments put in place to help them through the pandemic. This quarter, the report provides some details by demographic characteristics.
- January 22, 2021 Bank of Canada announces changes to securities repo operations
- January 11, 2021 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (January 18-January 28)
- December 18, 2020 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (January 4-15)
- December 18, 2020 Return to Standard Terms for Government of Canada Bond Auctions
- December 11, 2020 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (December 21-December 31)