We are Canada's central bank. We work to preserve the value of money by keeping inflation low and stable.
January 26, 2022 Governor Tiff Macklem discusses key issues involved in the Governing Council’s deliberations about the policy rate decision and the MPR.
January 26, 2022 The Bank of Canada today held its target for the overnight rate at the effective lower bound of ¼ %, with the Bank Rate at ½ % and the deposit rate at ¼ %.
January 26, 2022 The Canadian economy entered 2022 in a strong position. The Bank is forecasting growth of 4% in 2022 and about 3½ % in 2023.
January 17, 2022 In the fourth-quarter Business Outlook Survey, reports of supply chain bottlenecks and labour shortages remain elevated. Firms cited robust growth in demand, although those offering hard-to-distance services still had sales below pre-pandemic levels, even before the Omicron variant began spreading broadly. These factors are resulting in upward pressures on prices over the next year.
January 17, 2022 This survey took place in November 2021 before the Omicron variant of COVID-19 began spreading broadly in Canada. In December, the number of COVID-19 cases rose dramatically and governments began to reimpose containment measures. Many Canadians think inflation will be high over the next two years because of supply disruptions caused by the pandemic. They are more concerned about inflation now than they were before the pandemic and believe it has become more difficult to control. However, near-term inflation expectations are not feeding into expectations for wage growth or longer-term inflation. Showing confidence in the labour market, workers are more likely than ever to want to change jobs.
- January 25, 2022 CFEC Releases Results of October 2021 Foreign Exchange Volume Survey
- January 24, 2022 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (January 31-February 11)
- January 13, 2022 Notice of memorandum of understanding between the Autorité des marchés financiers, the British Columbia Securities Commission, the Ontario Securities Commission and the Bank of Canada
- January 10, 2022 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (January 17-28)
- December 22, 2021 Operational details for upcoming secondary market purchases of Government of Canada securities (January 3-14)