Quarterly Bond Schedule and Adjustments to the Debt Strategy Plan for 2012-13
Today, the Quarterly Bond Schedule is being published on the Bank of Canada's website. In addition, adjustments are being announced to the debt strategy plan for 2012-13.
Adjustments to the Debt Strategy Plan for 2012-13
As an extension of the plan outlined in the Debt Management Strategy for 2012-13 to lock in funding at attractive rates, the Government plans to reallocate short-term bond issuance toward long-term bonds. Consequently, for the remainder of 2012-13, the following changes are planned:
- 10-year bonds - one additional auction will be held in the last quarter of 2012-13;
- 30-year nominal bonds - one additional auction will be held, resulting in a total of four auctions in 2012-13; and
- The size of 10-year and 30-year nominal bond auctions may be increased, subject to market conditions.
Regular Bond Buyback Program
- 30-year bond buyback operations on a cash basis - operations will be halted for the remainder of 2012-13; and
- 30-year bond buyback operations on a switch basis - one additional operation will be conducted in the last quarter of 2012-13.
In all other respects, the implementation of the medium-term debt strategy, announced in Budget 2011, will continue. The adjustments to the debt strategy outlined above will be monitored and, if necessary, modified to ensure that the market for Government of Canada securities continues to function well.
For further information, please contact:
Funds Management and Banking Department
Bank of Canada
Chief, Debt Management Policy
Financial Markets Division
Department of Finance