This section features training materials and legal tools to help police officers and Crown prosecutors learn about Canadian bank notes and counterfeiting offences.
These materials will help you assess suspected counterfeits and assist in your investigations. Prevention and deterrence efforts are essential in the fight against counterfeiting.
Police investigations of counterfeiting operations—on any scale—have a direct impact on halting this crime. Your actions prevent others from becoming victims, help to stop other criminal activity that is funded by counterfeiting and contribute to bringing counterfeiters to justice.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police publishes annual statistics on bank note counterfeiting in Canada.
Suspected counterfeit bank notes and forged payment cards
This RCMP form should be used by:
- financial institutions and retailers to submit suspected counterfeit notes to their local police and
- police agencies to submit suspected counterfeit notes to the RCMP’s National Anti-Counterfeiting Bureau
Legal resources for Crown prosecutors
To help build a case to be brought before the courts, the Bank offers trial materials, as well as resources on sentencing and information on precedents.
- Counterfeit Canadian Bank Notes, by Professor Patrick Healy, McGill University
- Laboratory Report and Certificate of Examination (RCMP laboratory)
- Notice of Intent to Produce Certificate of Examiner of Counterfeit
- Summary Table of Sentences for Counterfeiting Cases 2014
- 2021 - Information on the Prevalence of Counterfeiting in Canada and its Impact on Victims and Society
- 2021 - Affidavit on the Prevalence and Impact of Counterfeiting in Canada
- Admissibility of Evidence on the Prevalence of Counterfeiting and its Impact on Direct Victims and Society
Training material to download or order
Polymer notes are at the forefront in terms of security and are bolstering police efforts to preserve Canada’s economic integrity through effective counterfeit deterrence.
Our training materials can be used to:
- Increase knowledge among police officers
- Raise awareness in the community
- Help take counterfeit bills out of circulation
The Bank of Canada offers free, postage-paid materials, but reserves the right to limit quantities.
The Bank may contact the requestor prior to shipping to verify that certain audience-specific resources are destined for the right users.