Learn about the process that led to the selection of Viola Desmond to be featured on the next regularly circulating $10 note, expected in late 2018.
The Short List
- The Advisory Council reviewed the survey results, heard from historical experts and established a draft short list of five iconic Canadian women.
- Focus group testing was carried out to assess Canadians’ opinions of the five short-listed women.
- The Advisory Council reviewed comprehensive biographies by historical experts and the focus group feedback before confirming their original list of five.
- The short list was submitted to the Bank.
- The Governor of the Bank of Canada then consulted with the Minister of Finance on the short list.
- The Minister made the final decision, in accordance with the Bank of Canada Act.
- The announcement that Viola Desmond would be featured on the next regularly circulating $10 bank note was made on 8 December 2016.
This consultation process was in line with the Bank’s design principles, which were developed to ensure that the Canadian public has the opportunity to play a greater role in the design process for the next bank note series.
Governor Stephen S. Poloz, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau and Minister of Status of Women Patty Hajdu will reveal which iconic Canadian woman will be featured on the next regularly circulating bank note. (9:00 (ET) approx.).
The Bank of Canada is formalizing a set of principles that will guide the design of Canadian bank notes and serve as the foundation upon which the visual content (theme, subject matter and images) for bank notes is developed in the future.