Bank of Canada launches The Economy, Plain and Simple
Today, the Bank of Canada launched a new digital publication to help Canadians better understand the economy. The Economy, Plain and Simple will feature regular blog-like educational articles about current economic issues, using plain language and engaging visuals to explain concepts in simple terms. It will also cover topics related to the Bank of Canada’s main functions.
“This initiative is the latest of many important steps the Bank has taken to communicate more clearly with Canadians,” said Governor Stephen S. Poloz. “Along with our outstanding Museum and website, the new publication helps Canadians better understand the economy and the Bank’s role. Ultimately, this understanding helps people make more-informed financial decisions and makes our own policies more effective.”
Two articles were published today:
- Welcome to The Economy, Plain and Simple explains why the Bank is launching this new publication
- Trading up—how countries benefit from freer trade discusses how trade affects Canadians
Upcoming articles will explore
- the growing digital economy,
- inflation and monetary policy,
- digital currencies, and
- financial vulnerabilities.
With new articles posted regularly, interested readers can subscribe for instant updates. They can also provide feedback or suggest topic ideas by emailing the Bank at or connecting with us on Twitter or LinkedIn.
Note to editors:
- To make way for The Economy, Plain and Simple, the Bank will no longer publish the biannual Bank of Canada Review. Back issues of this publication remain archived on the Bank’s website.