Inaugural recipients of Master’s Scholarship Award for Women in Economics and Finance announced
The Bank of Canada is pleased to announce the first ever recipients of its Master’s Scholarship Award for Women in Economics and Finance. This award, announced in September 2017, is designed to attract and advance women in the core areas of the Bank’s work, where they are under-represented. A $10,000 scholarship is combined with an offer of permanent employment at the Bank upon successful completion of a master’s degree by a recipient.
The three successful applicants in 2017–18 are as follows:
- Haeyeon Lee, pursuing a Master of Financial Economics at the University of Toronto
- Monica Mow, pursuing a Master of Arts in Economics at the University of Victoria
- Fanny McKellips, pursuing a Master of Arts in Economics at Queen’s University
“It is with great pleasure that I congratulate these outstanding women,” said Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins. “Having a diverse work place and advancing more talented women in the fields of economics and finance is a priority for the Bank of Canada. We hope that our scholarship programs will continue to encourage more people from many different backgrounds and perspectives to consider these careers and to work with us.”
Notes for editors:
- As the nation’s central bank, we recognize that a diverse and talented workforce can foster innovative thinking that results in better policy outcomes for Canadians. We are pleased to offer opportunities for students to further their education, with scholarship programs based on skills and merit, as well as the desire to reflect the composition of Canada’s labour market. These include the Master’s Scholarship Award for Women in Economics and Finance and the Scholarship and Work Placement Program.
- Up to five students can be granted a Master’s Scholarship Award per year. Recipients must be enrolled or accepted in a master’s degree program in economics or finance at a Canadian university, and self-identify as a woman. Work-placement opportunities are determined based on the recipient’s field of study.
- The application period for next year’s scholarships will open in September 2018. For more information, please visit our website.