Fellowship Award Requirements
Annual Review and Confirmation
A Fellowship Award can last for a period of five years, and is subject to an annual review and confirmation by the Bank’s Governing Council. This process is held annually in the fall and the Bank will inform the recipients of the Governing Council's decision before the end of the year. The Award may be discontinued if the Governing Council determines, in its sole discretion, that:
- the Recipient no longer meets the eligibility requirements
- has ceased to make sufficient professional contribution to the fields for which the Award was established or progress against the original research plan from his/her application
- or has engaged in action(s) inconsistent with the Tri-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research of the Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC).
The recipient’s university is to email the following material in a PDF document by 10 October 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a signed letter from an official representative of the university, on the university’s letterhead, confirming that the recipient remains in good standing and continues to meet the eligibility requirements for the Fellowship Award
- the recipient’s updated curriculum vitae
- a status report of one to three pages (maximum 1500 words) from the recipient demonstrating progress against the research plan originally submitted to the Bank of Canada and contributions to the education and development of new researchers
- the recipient’s research plan originally submitted to the Bank of Canada
- a list of articles written or presentations delivered by the recipient during the past year
The Nominating Committee conducts an initial review of these materials and makes recommendations to the Governing Council. The Bank will inform the recipient of the Governing Council's decision before the end of December.
Ongoing Interactions with Bank Researchers
Award recipients are required to maintain, during the term of their Award, ongoing interactions such as:
- discussing areas of mutual research interest in Bank workshops/seminars/small conferences
- being a visiting speaker at the Bank
- co-authoring a paper with one or more Bank researchers
- providing guidance to Bank researchers
Dinner with the Board of Directors
In the fall of the first year of their Award, Fellowship recipients are invited to a dinner with the Bank’s Board of Directors, to introduce them to the Directors, and recognize their Award and the importance of the Program.
As a condition of their Fellowship Awards, the recipients are required to participate in each year of their Fellowship term in a "Learning Exchange" at the Bank of Canada’s head office in Ottawa. Prior to the Learning Exchange, each recipient will review 3-4 draft research papers from Bank researchers to be presented during the Learning Exchange, and provide written feedback / guidance on potential improvements of 1-2 pages for each paper. During the Learning Exchange, the recipients will:
- present their research plan and findings (in the first year of their term)
- act as discussants during some workshops
- meet with Bank staff to discuss issues of mutual interest
- confer on future directions for their research
- attend a lunch and a dinner in their honour
The 2014 Learning Exchange is scheduled for 17-19 September. For 2015, the Bank intends to return to the usual timing of holding the Learning Exchange for 3 consecutive days during the first half of May. Specific dates will be posted closer to the event.
Canadian Economics Association
Fellowship recipients are also required to speak at the Canadian Economics Association annual meeting, once during their Fellowship term.