Books and Monographs
- Planning an Evolution: The Story of the Canadian Payments Association, 1980-2002 - by James F. Dingle. Outlines the history of the Association and its role in moving Canada's payments system from paper to electronic media.
- A History of the Canadian Dollar - by James Powell. A lively and informative account of Canadian money from colonial times to the present. Updated and expanded edition.
- Due Diligence: A Report on the Bank of Canada's Handling of Foreign Gold during World War II
Report commissioned by the Bank, written by Professor Duncan McDowall of Carleton University and released in November 1997. The Bank also released a search aid for related files in its archives and for Department of Finance documents.
- The Thiessen Lectures
Lectures delivered by Gordon G. Thiessen, Governor of the Bank of Canada 1994 to 2001
- Economic Research at the Bank of Canada, 1935-65
A retrospective of economic research at the Bank of Canada from 1935 to 1965.
- The Transmission of Monetary Policy
Text of major 1995 lecture by Bank Governor Gordon Thiessen, plus articles from Bank of Canada Review and other sources.
- Why Monetary Policy Matters: A Canadian Perspective
This paper provides a non-technical introduction to monetary policy - what it is, how it works, and why it matters. It discusses inflation volatility and why this is damaging to the economy, as well as why increased stability of output growth is desirable.